Swamy, Sidhu, Mary Kom among six nominated to Rajya Sabha
1) Six members nominated to the Rajya Sabha.
2) Senior BJP leader Subramanian Swamy
3) Former Test cricketer and BJP MP Navjyot Singh Sidhu
4) Boxing legend Mary Kom
5) Former National Advisor Narendra Jadhav.
6) Journalist Swapan Dasgupta
7) Malayalam actor Suresh Gopi.
Sushma Swaraj likely to visit Canada in June
1) External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will visit Canada in June to strengthen bilateral economic and cultural ties between the two countries.
2) Prime Minister Narendra Modi had visited Canada in April 2015.
3) The first Indian Prime Minister to visit the country in 42 years.
4) During the visit, Canada had agreed to supply 3,000 metric tonnes of uranium to energy-hungry India from 2015 under a USD 254 million five-year deal to power Indian reactors.
Salman Khan named goodwill ambassador of India’s Olympic contingent
1) Bollywood actor Salman Khan was named as goodwill ambassador of the Indian contingent for the upcoming Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
2) The announcement was made in the presence of Olympic medallists and Rio star athletes such as boxer MC Mary Kom, hockey captain Sardar Singh, and shooter Apurvi Chandela, among others.
The English playwright’s 400th death anniversary
1) William Shakespeare was an English poet, playwright,and actor, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world’s pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England’s national poet, and the “Bard of Avon”.
2) The English language’s foremost playwright died aged 52 on April 23, 1616
175 countries sign Paris Climate Agreement
1) “The world is in a race against time,” U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said in his opening speech.
2) The historic agreement on climate change marked a milestone, with a record 175 countries, including India, signing it.
3) The ceremony was attended by heads of governments, foreign ministers, corporate leaders and artists from across the world.
4) The agreement will come into force 30 days after at least 55 Parties to the UNFCCC, accounting for at least 55 per cent of global emissions ratify the agreement.
Union Government renames Department of Disinvestment as DIPAM
1) Union Government has renamed as Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM).
2) DIPAM will work under Union Finance Ministry
3) Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in his budget speech for 2016-17 had announced about the renaming of the Department of Disinvestment.
India replaces China as top FDI destination in 2015
1) According to FDI Intelligence Report India has replaced China as the top Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) destination by attracting $63 billion worth FDI projects in 2015.
2) Top destination states for FDI in 2015 in India: Gujarat was on top which had attracted $12.4 billion. Maharashtra was second attracting $8.3 billion respectively in 2015.
Chadian President Idriss Deby wins fifth term
1) Chad’s incumbent President, Idriss Deby has won a fifth term in office in a lopsided first-round victory.
2) In the 2016 election, Idriss Deby of Patriotic Salvation Movement (MPS) party secured the 61.56% of the vote in the first-round runoff.
Currency: Central African CFA franc
Union Commerce Ministry launches Twitter Seva for Start-Ups
1) The Union Commerce and Industry Ministry has launched a new service Twitter Seva to address issues and grievances of startups, exporters and importers, and other stakeholders.
2) In this regard, an institutionalised mechanism with a special Twitter cell has been created in the Ministry which is manned by a set of dedicated officers of the Ministry.
3) Twitter Seva will address various queries of startups in a time-bound manner.
22 April: Earth Day
1) Every year Earth Day is being observed on the 22nd April to build support for environmental protection around the world.
2) This year is 46th anniversary of Earth Day.
3) Theme: ‘Trees for the Earth!’. The theme signifies that trees are crucial for combating climate change as they absorb harmful levels of Carbon dioxide (CO2) from the atmosphere.
4) The first Earth Day was celebrated in 1970. Since then it is being observed in more than 192 countries.
Six Indians In TIME’s 100 Most Influential People
1) RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan
2) Tennis star Sania Mirza
3) Actress Priyanka Chopra
4) Google CEO Sundar Pichai
5) Founders of Flipkart Binny Bansal and Sachin Bansal.
6) Time’s annual list includes pioneers like American composer Lin Manuel-Miranda, leaders like IMF head Christine Lagarde and icons like Oscar-winning actor Leonardo DiCaprio.
Vistara And TCS Enter Into Strategic Partnership
1) Full service airline Vistara has entered into a strategic partnership with Tata Consultancy Services (TCS).
2) They have came into partnership for a broad range of information technology (IT) services, including application maintenance services and airport infrastructure support.
3) Vistara is a joint venture between Tatas and Singapore Airlines.
Mahatma Gandhi’s Granddaughter Tara Gandhi Gets Top French Honour
1)Mahatma Gandhi’s granddaughter Tara Gandhi Bhattacharjee has been decorated with one of France’s top honour The Order of Arts and Letters.
2) For her contribution in promoting peace, solidarity, culture, education, and development.
Renowned Music Legend Prince Has Passed Away
1) The American music superstar Prince Rogers Nelson has passed away.
2) He became an international superstar in the 1970’s with hits including Purple Rain, the Minneapolis sound, When Doves Cry and Kiss.
3) He won seven Grammy Awards, a Golden Globe and earned 30 nominations. He also won an Oscar for the song score “Purple Rain”.
The Making of India: The Untold Story of British Enterprise’- New book by KartarLalvani
1) The story 17th century when a small seafaring island despatched sailing ships over 11000 miles on a five-month trading journey in search of new opportunities.
2) The book also outlines the British enterprise’s contributions in the 19th and 20th centuries that helped to create a unified India.